Friday, August 06, 2004

Got House?

Elevations are not where this process began but I needed to start somewhere, right?


I'm going to begin by saying that I've been meaning to start this blog for a long time, and it's the inspiration provided by the other bloggers here that has finally given me cause to act. I hope you find what I have to say as interesting, inspiring and useful as I find your words.
We're nearly a year into the new home process at this point and we've officially broken ground as of a week ago. With future entries, I'm going to try and go back to the beginning of where this project began and work up to the present.

Here's some elevation drawings to give you and idea of what we're doing:


A general overview:
The north (front) of the house faces a shared driveway that provides access to three lots from the main road. Our lot is a half-acre walkout in the middle of these three, flanked by a lone garage on one side and an existing home on the other. Our private drive will slope down to the tuckunder garage shown in the west elevation. Visitors will park at the level of the shared driveway and enter the house from what we'll call the upper level or the north facade. I'll post our site plan and pictures of the lot soon.
The exterior of the house has yet to be finalized, so these drawings are mostly just representational. Additionally, there will be awnings or trellis over the front, garage and south sliding doors of style and material also to be determined.
The spiral stairs shown in the south elevation will access roof decks on two levels. The upper level deck will be almost entirely a "greenroof":http://www.greenroofs.com/ and the lower level deck will function as outdoor living and garden space.
We're building with "Insulated Concrete Form":http://www.icfweb.com/ the rationale for which I'll discuss in detail later on.

We're thrilled to have acutally started this thing. There was a period where we felt we may never get to this point so it's still a little hard to believe (and scary!) that we're acutally on our way to realizing our goal. I'm looking forward to sharing our experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home