Tuesday, February 14, 2006

More Interior Photos

This is the fun part! Now, if only the dust fairy would pay us a visit and clean up her mess.


The newly grouted shower wall with floor in progress:


Cable lights in my studio. I wasn't sure about the combination of these and the exposed joists, but now that they're up, I love the gallery-esque light they give off, particularly at night.


What to do when you don't have $800 in the lighting budget for the reading lights you REALLY want? The $6.99 IKEA desk lamp, MacGyvered into a wall fixture for our MB bedside reading lights. For a total of $14, I'd say it's a fair trade.


*****As seen in the NEW YORK TIMES!!!!!!!!!********

R&D on the dining table chandelier. Having a 24ft steel beam over the table makes for some intersting options. These are made from porcelain sockets, cut up extension cord and horseshoe magnets. I'm still working on the details of the final product.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear splatgirl,
I'm building modern in Mass. Can you let me know how you did the trimless door in the picture with your dog? None of the carpenter's around here have ever seen it done and I would appreciate some details. Thanks!
Chemeister

8:04 PM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

Hello Chemeister.

I basically made it up. I don't think it's something that's typically done, and my drywall guy thought I was crazy...

I set the doors flush to the interior plane of the framed wall, so that the interior face of the door frame and the wall framing are in the same plane. Then I had the drywall placed to extend to cover the frame, leaving about 1/2" of reveal and then finshed with "L" bead.

8:29 PM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

And yes, they are regular, pre-hung exterior doors.
You may need to order your doors with jamb extensions (or these can be added on-site) if you do this depending on what you're planning for exterior trim/finishing. My walls are 13 1/2" thick so standard exterior trimwork wasn't going to work regardless...

8:33 PM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

Please see this picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/splatgirl/51345711/in/set-185957/

The door frame, roughed in frame and the ICF wall are all in the same plane. I assume you're dealing with a wood framed wall, but it would be the same.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

After being amazed by the beautiful vessel sink on the butcherblock, I would like to express amazment at the glass nugets (?) on the tiles.
How did you stick them there? what kind of glue (suitable for wet area) ? Also- Are there some nuggets on the floor as well?
thanks
Ayelet

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home