Saturday, July 08, 2006

Livable and Done Are Not the Same Thing

Where to start? The when of when we began this project seems like a forever ago, and I feel like a different person in a different world. Crazy what housebuilding can do to a girl.


We passed our final inspection, took occupancy and closed on our permanent mortgage the first week of April, 2006, almost exactly two years from the time we closed on our land, and 16 months from groundbreaking.
Whew.
Financially, a HUGE relief after paying the insane penalties that went along with extending the term of our construction loan so many times, but emotionally, kind of a weird anticlimactic no mans land. Yes, we were thrilled that the house was, at least on paper, livable, but also a little delirious from the all out effort we had been putting in for so many months. Honestly, it's been hard to switch gears and I think we're both just now feeling like things are mostly back to normal. Which is not to say that we're not still working our butts off. At least now it's at our pace, on our terms, and without an hours drive each way.

We pretty much sat around or slept away all of our free time in April. It was delicious, and I'll never forget that first weekend when we DIDN'T have to get up at the crack of dawn and drive an hour to work on the house. At first it was hard to remember just how to be lazy, but I think we've got a handle on it now :) So we've been off to a slow, new start, but we're gradually crossing off all those items on our self imposed punch list.

As I've told many of our friends, a weird thing came over me once we finally got moved in. Instead of wanting to celebrate and share our progress and achievement at every stage, I turned picky and selfish and started feeling like I want everything to be perfectly the way I see it in my head before I'm willing to show it off. Realistically however, I think it's going to be YEARS before I feel like we're done, so I'm trying to get over it. And yes, eventually, I'm going to cave and plan a party.

"Livable" is a relative term to be sure. There's still plenty of work to be done, and a distinct lack of furniture which started to suck about two months ago. So far I've only been able to manage to decide on one piece, a sectional for the media room, which, if I'm lucky, will be here in three more months. Everything else is still waiting to be discovered and until then, one of us is enjoying the BO Concept chaise I got for half price at a local going out of business sale and the loser of the coin toss gets their pick of one of the four kitchen chairs. But hey, they do have upholstered seats :)

After spending two years of my life making decisions, I'm really over it. "They" say this is the part that's supposed to be fun. "They" being all those people who have "built" their own house by calling a builder, choosing a couple of fixtures and some tile and complaining that it's taking too long. My reality is that furniture shopping seems like such drudgery at this point that I really can't bring myself to do it, but the bigger the pain in my butt gets (those kitchen chairs, you know) the more motivated I become.

So in between not sitting down and lounging on nice new furniture, I've been busy pecking away at the million loose ends, and painting and rediscovering just how satisfying paint can be when it's not acres of white primer.

Here's the master bath, the one room in the house that's pretty close to completely done, with the tile job that nearly put me over the edge and took FOREVER, but that we absolutely LOVE.







My studio in Racer Pink (tinted primer plus FOUR coats of paint!) and still needing some major organizing.





The bike room, waiting to be pimped out with a lift, some cabinets, paint and beauty lighting, but with our dear friends the motorcycles happily parked:



The reading nook, aka the balcobrary:



Outside the back doors:



A year ago today:



and now:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I love the material in the façade in the phot "outside the backdoors", coul'd you indicate which material is that?

8:17 AM  
Blogger Nevanna said...

I absolutely love the bathroom tiles!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

how did you do those tiles?

10:27 AM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

Hi Ana...that picture is of the corrugated metal, sometimes called "Galvalume". We used the 1 1/4" corrugated variety, but it comes in numerous profiles and colors.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you get the faucet in the blue bathroom pic? I love the idea of a faucet that doesn't shoot water straight down, forcing you to wash your hands up against the back wall of the sink.

Great blog, BTW. Will be checking regularly!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Rebecca T. S. Morris said...

Hi! I am wondering what type of door that is on your bike room?
I am doing some renovation and looking for a similar style of roll up/down door? Any guidance you can provide is appreciated.
Regards, Rebecca

11:01 AM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

hi rebecca
It's Clopay, but there are many, many brands. Just google "service station door" or "full view garage door", or call around to whatever garage door places are in your area. It's typically a commercial product, so look for someone that does commercial work or they might be clueless and want to charge you and arm and a leg. That said, Clopay did start marketing these to the residential market about three years ago, but it's the same product as their commercial full-view doors.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog! Would also like to know where you got the sink faucet for the master bath - who's the manufacturer?

11:22 AM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

the master bath sinks are called Escher Quadro, and the faucets are from Ebay...not a brand I recall ever having heard of...cheap Chinese.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Philippe said...

Hi. Love your house. On the 7th photo, are those "Lack" shelves? And if so, how did you tightened them to the wall? Thanks

4:07 AM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

hi Phillipe
they are LACK, yes. I drilled new holes in the mounting brackets so that they would like up with the studs in the wall

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home