Monday, August 06, 2007

Half Way to a Finished Foyer

aka, progress on the upstairs:



Much better than white, no? This is the same Naples Blue from the huge east wall, and despite my dislike of it paired with the red that I talked about previously, I think the addition of another layer of decorating really has it working in the foyer.
The Kandinsky poster is a leftover from our old house, and I think it ties what I've got going on so far together perfectly but it's a little small for this wall. So, in lieu of acquiring the original "Yellow, Red, Blue" which it appears is owned by Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris, (ha! can you imagine?) I think I am just going to replace it with a nicer, larger giclee of the same painting. I'm also still considering a narrow table for under the print since, as has been pointed out, the room lacks the all important landing strip. And hurray for the cheap big plants and pots at IKEA. The sturdy old corn plant may not be my favorite, but I like that they're tall and didn't cost me $300 each.

I'm still working on the cubby over on the other wall so I'll have to keep that under wraps for a while longer. I will tell you that after retrieving some of the last of our stuff from storage over at Boy's mom's house, I've been reminded that we had the most perfect collection of cool, relevant chachke for the space all along...not that the trike isn't a great addition.

(OMG. Was that me admitting to having chachke?)

Stay tuned for a finished room, coming soon!

10 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

I love the coat hooks! And for the record, I think the blue and the red look great together. I'm kinda suprised myself to say that. But then again, a few years ago I didn't think I'd ever use orange, and now I love it!

11:42 AM  
Blogger thatto said...

I found a seller on ebay that sells actual oil reproductions of Kandinsky paintings. Even though it *is* a fake, I like having an actual painting rather than a picture of a painting. They may even take commissions.

http://stores.ebay.com/NY-Art-Importers

Love the site. You keep the good ideas coming!

-Todd

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this space!! It looks very great!! Could you please tell me where you got the lamp from? I have been looking for a pendant lamp for our dining room.

Thanks!

10:49 AM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

The light is just an inexpensive paper lantern and cord light, similar to those found at import stores or IKEA.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your loft is fantastic. We did a few of these things - we moved into a baseboard heated dome home 2.5 yrs ago and converted it to radiant floor/geothermal. I ran a cable across the dome and we hung some lights down. 700 pounds of concrete countertops. Bamboo cabinets.

I love the way you plan and do these outrageous projects. I no longer feel like a loon and you DO inspire me.

How IS your ofuro doing - that is how I found your page. I read Fu Tung Cheng's books and have been pouring ever since. I am planning a concrete furo. You are the only person on the web who has written about one - so I wanted to know how its doing....

I may tile mine - more on that later.

I am Lou - pescatore@fastmail.fm

8:35 AM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

Hi Lou, and thanks!
The tub is great, although we aren't and never were big bath-takers so it doesn't get much use. As such, I'm not sure it was worth all the effort, but it's a cool feature and we do enjoy it now and then.
I think I would make it smaller if I were to do it again. I was worried about it being too snug or confining when I was figuring out dimensions, and as it turns out it's much roomier than it would need to be.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you get the red coat hooks? They look fantastic with the blue paint and are exactly what I need for my entrance.

8:57 AM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

It's a magazine rack from IKEA. It doesn't work that great as a coat rack, actually, but hey, it looks great!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

Where did you get your baseboard/moldings? How did you fasten?

5:27 AM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

Hi Craig
It's steel. I had it made. I had the fabricator punch holes in it every 24" for attachment. It was a pain to put on because I then had to use drywall anchors in every hole. It's held on with cap head screws but that was an aesthetic and arbitrary choice.
And steel is a lot more work to cut than wood...obviously.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home