Thursday, February 07, 2008

"I have not seen equal pies from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...."

I promise I will have something neato to show you very, very shortly that falls into the categories of lighting and sculpture (and IKEA hacking...um...duh?) but right now I just have to share this because it is completely cracking me up.

I noticed via my stat counter the other day that Modern in MN was getting a lot of hits from a particular Spanish language website, so I went to it and thanks to the help of AltaVista's Babelfish, I've been following what is turning out to be an extensive discussion about my house. What makes it funny, however is that web page translation ends up being more than a little vague...or wrong...and it leads to sentences like the title above.

Other than the understanding that my pies apparently exceed those in classic film, I can gather I'm not too big a loser. My favorite comment was something to the effect of "good thing the gringo can't hear us" !! In all fairness, I tried chiming in at that point but got bogged down in the log in stuff (I don't speak Spanish if you haven't already figured that out).
Good or bad, I wish for a way to get a better translation of the discussion. Perhaps the problem is the difference between Castilian Spanish and North American Spanish?
Anyway...hola estiloyhogar.com and thanks for visiting! The language of design is universal, no?

The whole thing reminds me of my trip to Spain in '04 (immediately following...like leaving the same day as...our closing on the lot for Modern in MN) , riding around and passing construction projects in progress on "the motos", and having the unquenchable desire to know what the Spanish equivalent of Home Depot might be like.

"To hell with the Prado, take me to the hardware store."
Safe to say my traveling companions probably wouldn't have been down with that detour! :)
Proof of my infection with the DIY bug even then...

7 Comments:

Blogger Marta Miranda said...

Hola Splatgirl, soy Marta, la persona que ha enseñado tu impresionante casa en Estiloyhogar.com.
Espero que esto no te haya molestado.
Estoy profúndamente impresionada con toda tu creatividad, tu arte en la cocina, tus crafts, tus animales y el amor que pones en todo lo que haces.Te admiro!!!!
La casa ha gustado mucho en el foro,los colores, cada uno de los rincones....
Tambien publiqué algunos de tus Ikea-hacks en mi blog : http://piratasdeikea.blogspot.com/
Yo no se Inglés y el traductor de google hace traducciones surrealistas, espero que puedas sacar algo bueno de este mensaje tras la traducción.
Un beso:
Marta

2:33 AM  
Blogger Marta Miranda said...

Hola Splatgirl, soy Marta, la persona que ha enseñado tu impresionante casa en Estiloyhogar.com.
Espero que esto no te haya molestado.
Estoy profúndamente impresionada con toda tu creatividad, tu arte en la cocina, tus crafts, tus animales y el amor que pones en todo lo que haces.Te admiro!!!!
La casa ha gustado mucho en el foro,los colores, cada uno de los rincones....
Tambien publiqué algunos de tus Ikea-hacks en mi blog : http://piratasdeikea.blogspot.com/
Yo no se Inglés y el traductor de google hace traducciones surrealistas, espero que puedas sacar algo bueno de este mensaje tras la traducción.
Un beso:
Marta

2:37 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Hi there - I found your blog from the Ikea Hacker blog - but this is funny! I used the google translation facility today (on something in German) and wondered if I was any the wiser afterwards...

I love your apartment by the way!

We live in an English Victorian terrace which is built with no regard for today's wish to open spaces up. Maybe we'll move and get bigger rooms to play in. :-)

3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Splatgirl. Ain't the internet awesome? You're in luck. It so happens I read Spanish, so I'll translate what Marta wrote above.

Here it is:


"Hi splat girl, I’m Marta, the person who has posted your impressive house on estilog.com. I hope this hasn’t bothered you. I’m profoundly impressed by your creativy, your art in the kitchen your crafts, you animals and the care that you put into everything you do. I admire you!!!! I like the house a lot in your archives, the colors, each of the corners. I also published some of your ikea hacks on my blog http://piratasdeikea.blogspot.com/_I don’t speak English and the google translater is surreal. I hope that you can get something out of this message through the translator. Kisees, Marta"




I only read the first page of the comments on the site. They're highly complimentary. You won't figure out what they're saying because Spanish from Spain is different than other Spanish. And they're using a lot of slang/colloquialisms. One person thought your loft looked cold. But all the others love it.



PARA MARTA
HE TRADUCIDO LO QUE HAS ESCRITO.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Marta Miranda said...

Anonymous,GRACIAS!!!!!!
Muchas gracias por la traducción, me preocupaba que Splatgirl no entendiera bien nuestros comentarios, su casa nos ha gustado mucho.Es mágica!!!
Splatgirl , you are beautifoul !!!
Kiss:
Marta

1:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there, splatagirl
i´m also an active member in estiloyhogar.com in spain and would like to explain (in my poor english) a little of what it´s said there:
the thing is that marta foud out this fantastic blog and alert us to have a look (as most of us are ikea-fan and you´re a master-ikea-hacker!!!), but unfortunately english is not such an important subject at school and most of us were unable to understand your comments at the photos, so marta tried to show us the construccion and decoration process of your idonthavewordstoexplain fantastic home.
some (in fact, one) of us thinks this is not a "home, sweet home", as it seems a bit "industrial" but most of us are positive impressed of your great creativity, the use of colour and light and different stuff.
let me say we missed bedrooms,,,, and we will be watching for them -hahaha
about charlie and the factory, it was a good translation. we were talking about your pies, that they really look fantastic, out of this world,,, not the tipical boring pie, and some of us would like to learn a few recipes
finaly, about the gringo hearing us,,, hahaha again,,, just we were wondering if you would mind us posting your photos in our own website without permission,,, but i insist, this was only to make us easier to enjoy your home.
thanks a lot for your time, your different point of view from life, your je ne sais quoi that makes you so special...
kisses from spain!!!
ssanchez

2:14 AM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

No worries!
This is so fun! Thanks for the comments and the translation.

This regular girl (emphasis on regular) is flattered to say the least, and everyone is so kind, even those who've said they don't like it!

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home