Friday, June 27, 2008

Modern in MN Meets Miami Beach

Remember this, from this post?



I finally got around to getting an after photo of this mystery project. Not that it's done, mind you, but I figured since it seems to have reached a state of stasis I may as well show you what I've got and maybe get some opinions.
Here's the full view of the $20 worth of re-purposed IKEA shelf parts made into a frame skinned with white Acrylite on both sides:


It doesn't look like much and that's not really it's final destination as far as location, but like I said, it's a work in progress. The white sticks I just threw in there offhandedly one day but they seem to have stuck and ever since I've been torn between trying to figure out a way to get them to stand up in there all permanent-like or rigging the frame to hold planter boxes for some kind of living sculpture/space divider/random weird white box thing.
But the real point of the deal was to make a light sculpture, so here's the night view:


Neato, huh?
Actually, quite a bit less so in photos compared to real life, but you get the idea.
Inside the frame is a length of 3 color LED rope light that was subjected to a little electrical hacking courtesy of Boy. It can be programmed to cycle through the color spectrum, change colors or just display one color. I think the effect is pretty cool and it makes for an interesting visual element in the room at night but again, it's just not quite all that I want it to be yet...
Suggestions welcome!

5 Comments:

Blogger heathashli said...

I'd put a piece of acrylic on top too, except w/ some holes, possibly in various sizes for ventilation, if needed, or a piece of frosted glass on top to use a a table.

5:09 PM  
Blogger auntiemichal said...

Brilliant! If you want to include branches or fronds, you could make a "frog" out of some rolled/crunched chicken wire. It would add to the strange shadows being cast. Hardware cloth would do the same with the possible advantage of casting rectangular/square (your theme!) shadows. Id be tempted to anchor the rope lights so they don't cause visual or thermal hot spots. A reflective surface in the bottom might be interesting. Lights on the corkscrew vegetation is an interesting effect.

12:00 PM  
Blogger art and chel said...

I was actually thinking of turning an entire wall into a lightbox.

I would tear the drywall off of my living room wall and replace it with translucent coroplast.

During the day, the bedroom would be flooded with natural light from the living room and at night the entire wall would be illuminated.

It's a little ambitious.

I like your light box.

8:22 PM  
Blogger troy. said...

I was going to suggest the same basic idea as heathashli -- acrylic w/ holes (that would hold the white sticks in place) and then use as a sideboard of sorts -- should look good against a wall or back of a couch.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw this I imagined the willow sticks having tiny lights at their tips, as an extension to the overall light sculpture vibe. Don't know how to do that, of course...

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home